Welcome to Sound Thinking – the podcast that talks to some of the UK’s most fascinating thinkers and doers who challenge us about the way we think, communicate and behave.
Why is it that cleaning seems to be the new black ?
- What has changed culturally and behaviourally to create this trend
- How can marketers take advantage of it ?
“I’m in a different house every day. I see what’s used, how it’s misused,” said decluttering guru Vicky Silverthorn. “I see how frustrated people get with certain things that don’t work or don’t work in the right way, or how they’ve bought something thinking it’s this and actually it’s that, and how with anxiety and stress levels through the roof, people don’t necessarily want complicated things.”
“Back to basics is what my clients love. The fact is that we’re stripping back people’s homes and giving them less. That doesn’t make sense. How come they’re getting happier when they’re getting less? That doesn’t go with everything we’ve been taught in life: make more money, have more stuff…”
Decluttering guru Vicky Silverthorn, a professional organiser and the UK’s answer to Marie Kondo, tells us how starting small can achieve big personal change. Vicky has appeared on Channel 4’s The Big Spring Clean and her book, Start with Your Sock Drawer, appears on Amazon’s best-seller list.
In this episode:
- Vicky talks about her journey from being Lilly Allen’s PA to becoming a professional organiser and declutter, and the difficulties she overcame to achieve her dream
- A tidy home environment leading to a positive sense of well-being can benefit everyone from those with anxiety to busy families
- What’s changed culturally to drive this emotional engagement with a functional category
- The impact of social media, and Instagram particularly, on how we perceive our home
- Brands who are missing the point when selling organising items
- Thoughts on how brands can cut through and harness the power of this trend
- Decluttering and the rise of conversation about mental health and wellbeing
- Vicky’s top tip to getting started when organising your home
To find out more about Vicky go to her website www.youneedavicky.com. Her book, Start with Your Sock Drawer: The Simple Guide to Living a Less Cluttered Life, is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.